Friday, March 4, 2011

GF GOODNESS!

I have slowly and successfully adapted to my new 'not-optional' gluten free diet. Cooking is a breeze and I have discovered some really good recipes that my boys will even eat. Baking on the other hand is a trial. I LOVE to bake and I enjoy a challenge when I know how things are to turn out or what they should look like. Baking GF is like baking blind-folded. You can't just substitute rice flour for regular flour and 'ta-da'! No, it is more like, add these 2 different flours, one starch, some guar or xanthan gum and then hope for a good result.  Baking GF is unpredictable (for me anyways) right now and it is driving me crazy! I like to make everything from scratch if possible and it is rewarding to see it turn out and taste delicious. But baking GF you never know how it will turn out and I am getting to the point where I am tired of baking and everything flopping, so I am quite happy to rip open a box of cake mix and go to town. Thankfully I have a mom who has a love for baking like I do, so she sent me some GF cake mixes from the States. Not sure why we can't get this stuff up here in Canada but i will settle for giving my mom a list each time she heads to Minot. Guess what I'm doing this afternoon.....
I love that the box has GLUTEN FREE written right on the front in big letters. No having to stop and read every ingredient on the label looking for hidden gluten. Thank you Betty Crocker for making my week end with a big smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment