Wednesday, January 12, 2011

It's mine..ALL MINE!!



The Celiac's Cupboard

                                  This is the final result from my cupboard organizing to
                                  make me my own gluten-free cupboard. These are most of the
                                  essentials that a gluten-free diet needs in order to eat healthy
                                  or to even cook your own meals.
                                          
                                   Starches and Gums that are essential when it comes
                                   to making gravy, sauces, glazes and soups.


                                       Flours, GF pasta, rice and quinoa


                                          A chart that I made and put inside my
                                          cupboard door. It is a list of flours, gums,
                                          starches and rice with their purpose, substitutes,
                                          and what they can be used for.

First off, thank you to Jeff for taking yesterday afternoon off to have a father/son day with Colton so I could get out by myself and do some research and get some ideas for cooking and baking on my challenging new diet.
I started off yesterday afternoon with a very disappointing Dietician appointment. I went all the way down south planning on being in my appt for about an hour and coming away totally overwhelmed by all the info I would get....WRONG! I was in and out in 15 minutes. I was so upset and frustrated that i came away with absolutely no information to help me out in my new little journey. I was referred to another dietician who should be calling me within the next 2 weeks to set up an appointment..and then another month before I actually get in to see her..grrrrrrr.
Anywhoooooo...I was glad that I didn't have to rush home after my appointment(which is what i usually have to do) and could spend the afternoon touring health food stores. I actually came away having learned alot during my afternoon of being 'on tour'. I literally read every label so I could educate myself on what I can and should be eating. I was able to stock up on all the essentials that i need to start cooking and baking and succeeding at it.
Looking forward to making my first EVER loaf of bread tomorrow......thanks to a bread machine. I'm thinking that the next time I am home in Sask I need to spend an afternoon with my grandma, who still makes her own bread, and learn some tricks on bread making.
OH YA! I just about forgot...the best thing from my 'tour' was that I found bread that is light and fluffy and just like REAL bread. I was so excited that I went out to the car and ate 3 pieces of bread in a matter of 30 seconds per slice. It was so delicious that I was just about in tears. I had myself a toasted tuna sandwich today for lunch, just b/c I could. You people out there that can eat wheat bread, enjoy and be thankful for every bite you take b/c chewing on gluten free bread is depressing! Looking forward to breakfast tomorrow morning when I can lather my light and fluffy bread in honey..mmmmm



                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment