Monday, January 17, 2011

Test #1

This past weekend Jeff, Colton and I went on a little road trip to Edmonton. Jeff and I had his work Christmas Party to attend so Colton got to go on one of his first sleep-overs and spend some time getting to know some cousins. BIG thanks to Angela and Christopher for taking Colton for the night!
I was very hesitant and nervous about this whole Christmas dinner thing. I wasn't sure if I would get lost in the shuffle seeing as there were 400+ people all having dinner. Jeff had sent in a request for a gluten-free meal a couple weeks ahead of time. As the meals were being served, I had a plate set in front of me and the meal was covered in gravy! I politely let the server know that I had requested a gluten-free meal for Jennifer Taylor. He quickly removes my plate and comes back with the exact same thing! I looked at him, smiled and said, "Could I get a meal without gravy please?" He looks at me with a look of disgust and marches off and returns AGAIN with a plate and the meal is literally SWIMMING in gravy! I was sooo hungry and embarassed that this was beginning to cause a little commotion with the waiter and the people at our table. Can't say as I really enjoyed the dinner, but the dessert was really good! I got thinking later, I doubt that I was the only one requesting a specific meal in a room of 400+ people! Seeing as how Celiacs Disease effects 1 in every 133 people, there should have been at least 4 other GF meals to serve. Should I have gone up to the microphone and asked that the Gluten-Free meal people raise your hands...was there a GF table set up that I was not aware of? hehe.(me just being cheeky)
 Thankfully I had packed a whole gluten-free meal from home just in case this happened..so I waited until everyone was finished eating and I headed up to the hotel room to INHALE my own food. I read a very informative GF book recently and the author suggested going into the kitchen yourself and meeting the cook and making your meal demands known. Those of you that know me, could you see me marching into the kitchen to tell a chef how to do his job?! ...me neither! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment