Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Day #13

Toffee Tarts
Ok, yes, I admit to going on a bit of a caramel/toffee rampage this year..but i am not going to apologize for it!
These are one of my favorite Christmas treats. One of my aunts used to make these every Christmas and that is the first thing my little fingers would reach for on the 'treat table'. These are delicious..the tart is a shortbread and then the inside is MacIntosh toffee and cream. MacIntosh Toffee bars are hard to find, but they now have a bag of individually wrapped ones. One bag is equal to one bar. Superstore and Co-op carries the bag of candy toffee.
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup icing
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup plus 1 tbsp butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla

Mix like shortbread. Form into balls. Press into small tart tins. Bake at 300 degrees for 18 to 25 minutes or less.
Filling: Melt 3 toffee bars (or 3 bags of indiv. wrapped) and 1/2 cup cream in microwave. Pour into cooked tarts shells once cooled. Top with pecans.
Yes Barb, these freeze well. : )

1 comment:

  1. I may have to go through and comment on every post just so I'm entered for free baked goodies:P I must admit I'm more of a chocolate person but I'd be willing to try toffee!!!!

    ReplyDelete